Friday, April 01, 2005

Preface

In November of 2003, our son was diagnosed with Coats' disease. I'd never heard of Coats' disease until that day.

After a year, I've read all the internet has to offer...and let me tell you...its not much. This rare eye disease, as I have come to understand it, is when the blood vessels in the back of the eye leak the lipid portion of the blood into the eye. This "cholesterol" (exudate) then accumulates and can cause damage to the retina and possible detachment if the disease is not treated. There is no known cause of this disease. It usually occurs in males and usually in only one eye. At this point, I dont think the disease can be "cured", but treatment is an attempt to stop its progression. Treating it in its earliest stage is preferred. Keep in mind, I am not a doctor, I might not understand every detail perfectly. This blog isn't meant to be a medical help site or a means of helping you diagnose this disease. Rather, it's a way to chronicle our journey through this experience and possibly encourage others out there that might have just heard of Coats' disease for the very first time.

Come back later and read our story. I'll tell you about everything that we've experienced.

And it all started with the purchase of a camera.

No comments: