Sunday, February 12, 2006

Update on Joey

We saw Dr. T in November at his new office in a different city. I told him that Joey was becoming quite "combative" about his patching. He said, "Combative? That's a strong word!". But I assured him that I MEANT "combative"! He told Joey that patching was VERY important and that it would help his eye get better. They dilated Joey's eyes and Dr. T said that the retina looks dry, which means there is no apparent leakage...which is great! So, we just keep on patching, and go back in a couple of months for another routine appointment with Dr. T. (The drive to the new office was only a little bit longer than the drive to the Children's Hospital. Not too bad. However, we found out that he also has an office in a city closer to us.)

It's February now, and we are still struggling a bit with the patching. Some days he is very compliant, some days he is just pissed off about it. I guess "some" compliant days are better than "no" compliant days, right?

On an encouraging note - one evening while he was patched, he insisted on doing his homework. I never make him do his homework while patched, since I figure it will only frustrate him. However, I was VERY pleased to see that he did a great job! His face was practically touching the paper as he did it...but he DID it. The numbers were neat and right on the lines! I was surprised and very encouraged! He was really proud of himself, too. He even told his teacher the next day that he did his homework while patched!

Until next time...

No comments: