Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Post by Joey



I asked Joey to tell me about his surgery.  
He talked and I typed...



"The nurse messed up  on my IV before the surgery.

Before the surgery I walked in the hospital scared and shaky, because I didn't remember the last surgery,  since I was 3 years old. I was shaking like crazy.  I had to go in and put on stupid clothes and then I had to go do my weight and height.  And the nurse said I'm almost as tall as her. 

Then the people came in.  One of the nurses said she wanted to give me the IV, but I didn't want it til I was asleep, but they said there'd be no gas and that'd be better cuz I was a little too old for the gas.  So they gave me the IV, but the nurse messed up on the IV on my hand because she pulled it out so I had to get 2 IVs. 

Also when I walked in the hospital, I got a bracelet that I'm wearing right now. 

After the IV, the eye doctor walked in and talked to us.  He marked the eye and after I was asleep, they checked my eyes. I'm not sure if I remember going into the place and getting rolled out. But I remember waking up someplace and some one saying "Joey, wake up".  I think it was the nurse, but I didn't open my eyes, because it was too bright. I tried to open my eyes but it was too hard.  So I think I remember being rolled back in and I was sleeping. My mom and daddy said "you wanna go home now?" But I said "no I want to sleep for a little bit".  I remember waking up and going pee.  It was very yellow from the dye.  I was peeing for a long time.  I went back to  the bed and slept for another hour.  I slept for a long time. We left the hospital with a patch on my eye. 

We stopped at a hotel and it was hard to see because it was so bright. When I walked in the hotel, the people looked at me because I had a big patch on my eye.  I couldn't open my eye and it really bugged me a lot.  I didn't like the experience of having surgery one day.  I had to take a physical and they took my blood.  and they wanted to give me a bunch of shots. The blood didn't hurt.  I was crying at the hospital because I was very scared. 

I fell asleep very good that night, I woke up and was very hungry.  My pee was still pretty yellow in the middle of the night. I slept for 10 hours so I was awake in the middle of the night for a little while.  Mama said, "go back to sleep", but it was hard, kind of. Daddy backed me up because he said I was sleeping for 10 hors.  So I fell back to sleep and woke up the next morning.  I hated it  because it was very bright outside, and when we all walked to get breakfast it was very bright. 

We went to the eye doctor and they took off the patch.  I could see more shapes I think.  I could see letters better.  But now they put eye drops in my eyes so its hard to see with all that crap in my eye. So I have to get all those eye drops in my eyes for a week.  I have to wear a little metal plastic-y patch that has to be taped every night so I dont poke my eye while I'm sleeping.  I cannot do anything for  a week so nothing gets loose in my eye. I have stitches in my eye and its annoying.  In a week I go to the eye doctor and  they will check out my eye again.  They are going to see if it is good or bad still. They gave me a new lens and sealed up the retina.  And they put a new thing in my eye that will prevent me from ever having the surgery again, most likely. I also got an iPhone for going through all that trouble."


1 comment:

Claire McGovern said...

Fantastic post and fantastic blog. I work for the Jack McGovern Coats Disease Foundation (coatsdiseasefoundation.org). We'd love to reach out to you and connect. We raise money that funds research to cure coats. Visit our website for more details on us! Please contact us so we can connect. :)