Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Orange Circles Explained

We just got back from our appointment. My main worry was that his retina was detached, but Dr. T said it was intact. He said the flashes are caused by the vitreous fluid (the "jelly" in the eyeball) separating from the retina. He said that it is something that happens as we age; the jelly becomes thinner, and in Joey's case, since he has so much going on with his eye, that his eye "ages" faster than a normal eye. So as the jelly becomes thinner, it moves around in the eye, causing these flashes of light. Once I knew what it was - Vitreous Detachment - I googled it and was amazed to find that Joey had described it exactly as the article says. Actually, he said he saw orange flashes and what looks like a "beetle" walking across the side of his eye, which I figured meant "floaters". Dr. T said that this should go away over time, but as always, to monitor him, which we do. We always see Dr. T every 3-4 months anyway. I will keep on praying for that little eye to be healed.

As for my anxiety, God must have been with me, because I was ok on the drive. I was ready to whip out my "sword" (my memorized scriptures) and fight it though. My friend, Barbara, gave me another scripture to pray - Be anxious for nothing, but in prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace which passes all understanding will guard your heart and mind through Christ Jesus. Thats how I feel, like I made my requests known to Him, and He guarded my mind and heart.

Meanwhile, Joey missed the first two days of first grade, and when he goes in tomorrow, his eyes will probably still be a little dilated. I'll pack his sunglasses in his backpack. Although I've learned that you can lead a horse to his sunglasses, but you cant make him wear them...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Liz,
My prayers are with Joey. My own son (not yet 6) was diagnosed with Coates Disease around six months back. He's had two rounds of cryopexy since then (along with some laser). On Christmas Eve, the doctor informed us that the condition has stabilized. It is a huge relief although we know he will require check-ups every 3-4 months. Your story is truly inspiring. May God give you and your family the strength you need to deal with this.